Michael C. Doyen
Michael C. Doyen is a skilled litigator with over twenty-nine (29) years of experience trying civil and criminal cases. He has tried over forty (40) jury trials to verdict and has tried hundreds of non-jury cases. Mr. Doyen has concentrated his practice in the area of family law for over twenty-five (25) years.
Mr. Doyen was born in Springfield, Missouri and was raised in the St. Louis area. After graduating from the University of Notre Dame in 1983, where he also received a Regular Army Commission as a Second Lieutenant in the U.S. Army, he sought a deferral of active duty military service to attend law school at St. Louis University School of Law. Mr. Doyen graduated from law school cum laude in 1986 and entered into active military duty in the Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps stationed at Ft. Belvoir, Virginia. Mr. Doyen attained the rank of Captain and served as Chief of Military Justice. In addition to his duties prosecuting military personnel by Courts-Martial, he also served as a Special Assistant United States Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia, Northern Division, prosecuting cases in the United States District Court. In 1990 Mr. Doyen returned to his wife’s hometown of Elgin, Illinois and entered into private practice with his Father-in-Law, Robert A. Chapski where he practiced from 1990 until 2015. In 2016, as his daughter Kathleen and son Christopher reached the age at which time Mr. Doyen returned to Illinois, the family founded The Doyen Law Group, LLC.
Mr. Doyen has established himself as one of the top family law attorneys in Kane County, Illinois. From 1995 through 2001 Mr. Doyen was responsible for planning all Family Law Continuing Legal Education Seminars for the Kane County Bar Association. He was Chair of the Kane County Bar Association Family Law Committee form 1999 through 2001. In 2001 he joined the Board of the Kane County Bar Association as a Director, served as Secretary/Treasurer in 2001-2003, Vice-President from 2003 through 2005, and as President from 2005 to 2006. Mr. Doyen became President of the Kane County Bar Foundation on July 1, 2007 and served until June 30, 2014. He was the recipient of the Kane County Bar Foundation Pro Bono Award for 2002 and has provided a minimum of fifty (50) hours of pro bono service per year for the past twenty (20) years. Mr. Doyen was recognized as an “Illinois Super Lawyer” in 2006, 2007, and 2008.
While Mr. Doyen has extensive trial experience, the majority of the cases he handles are resolved by settlement. He appreciates that most clients want their cases resolved amicably and efficiently. His experience with the full range of family law issues enables him to navigate complex cases towards the resolution most favorable to his clients. These results are usually achieved by settlement, but when necessary he is prepared to zealously present his clients’ cases at trial.
Mr. Doyen is available for consultation during regular business hours, but will also schedule appointments for evenings and Saturdays to accommodate his clients.
- 92% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Illinois, 1987
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia, 1987
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 1988
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 2002
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2011
Saint Louis University School of Law, St. Louis, Missouri
- J.D. cum laude – 1986
University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana
- B.A. – 1983
- Major: Economics and Philosophy
Irmo Schmitt, 391 Ill. App.3d 1010 (2nd Dist. 2009)
Irmo Ackerley, 333 Ill. App.3d 382 (2nd Dist. 2002)
Irmo Golden, 358 Ill. App.3d 464 (2nd Dist. 2005)
Voga v. Voga, 376 Ill. App.3d 1075 (2nd Dist. 2007)
Eden v. Robert A. Chapski, Ltd., 405 F.3d 582 (7th Cir. 2005)
Classes / Seminars
- Family Law Seminar Chairperson, Kane County Bar Association, 1995 – 2001
- Business Valuation, Financial & Tax Issues Affecting Divorce, IICLE and the Illinois Chapter of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Frequent presenter at Kane County Bar Association Family Law Seminars, 1992 – Present
Honors and Awards
- 2002 Kane County Bar Foundation Pro Bono Award
- Selected to Illinois Super Lawyers – Thomson Reuters, 2006, 2007, and 2008
- Professional Associations and Memberships
- Kane County Bar Association, Past President
- Kane County Bar Foundation, President , 2007 – 2014
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
Past Employment Positions
- U.S. Army, Captain, Judge Advocate General’s Corps, 1986 – 1990
Pro Bono Activities
- Kane County Bar Foundation, President, 2007 – 2014
- Prairie State Legal Services, Volunteer Attorney, 1990 – Present
- Administer Justice Volunteer Attorney, 2000 – Present